A Reflection on Being 13

My 13th year was a really great one.  From the high school admissions process to family trips, I have a lot to write about!  Here are some highlights of my 13th year.

Getting accepted into Pinewood after having to take the SSAT once and the ISEE twice

One of the biggest challenges I’ve faced so far was taking the SSAT and ISEE, the tests required to qualify for admission to private high schools.  The tests focus on math and verbal skills, and within those categories, reading and logic. This was a huge challenge for me because it took a ton of effort, commitment, and time.  I started studying for the tests in March of 2017, nine months before I sat for my first exam. I would go to tutoring every week, and then once summer came, multiple times a week. Outside of tutoring sessions, I had homework to complete and spent hours studying at home.  By the time the school year came, I thought I was ready. I had studied and studied and studied over the summer, so why not? I soon learned that I was incorrect! I struggled on the first test, the ISEE, so I started studying even harder. I took the SSAT, a slightly easier test, in January, and struggled in the math portion, but did much better in the reading.  I then focused on the math with a healthy dosage of verbal practice. I was allowed to take the ISEE one more time, and so I did. This time, I got a much higher score in math and even placed in the upper 90s in verbal – far better than I had done previously! These scores helped me get into Pinewood, and taught me a real life lesson in dedication and hard work.

Trips:  Avalon, Monkton, DC, Canada, NYC

I have been so fortunate to be able to go on so many amazing trips with my family.  The trips this year have included our annual trip to Avalon, New Jersey, Monkton, Maryland, Washington DC (for a school trip), Canada, and New York City.  I have posted about many of these trips, but here is my top highlight from each one:

Avalon:  spending time with family and mini golfing

Monkton:  seeing family from all over the country and doing crafts in the Otterbeins’ awesome studio

Washington DC:  learning about the early settlers in Historic Jamestowne

Canada:  going on a whitewater rafting adventure and spending quality time with my family

New York City:  seeing all the Calia cousins and seeing Harry Potter and the Cursed Child on Broadway (I still can’t believe it!)

Operetta

Operetta is another example of hard work and dedication paying off this past year.  To give you some history, the Operetta is a tradition that my school has held for a long time.  Every year, the 8th grade class puts on a musical and works on it during the third trimester of the school year.  Operetta was very difficult because it required a lot of effort from people who didn’t want to do it in the first place.  We all had to practice every day after school for about a month, which was very challenging to do when people didn’t care about the end performance.  However, I stuck through it and did my best. We were told that after Operetta, the 8th graders would become inter-school celebrities, and surprisingly, it was true.  Younger kids would come up to me after school to take a picture with me and tell me that I did a good job. Some even asked for my autograph. Looking back on it, the Operetta did make me a better actor and it was  a good experience.

All in all, the year was fantastic, and I look forward to my 14th year.  I am especially excited to find out what this year holds as I am going into high school.  Overall, I am really excited, but I am a little bit nervous about it. I don’t have any friends from Woodside going to Pinewood and don’t know that many people there currently.  However, I think I’m really going to enjoy it and hope that my 14th year is as good, if not better, than my amazing 13th year.

Thank you to everyone who made my 13th year so special, and I can’t wait to spend time as a 14 year old with you!

2 thoughts on “A Reflection on Being 13

1. Hi Marco That was certainly a remarkable year. It was filled with such a variety of experiences. I especially always love spending time with the Calias. They are a fun family. Your play was fun and you did a remarkable job as the king of hearts.. I know that starting high school is a little nerve wracking but I know you will do great. You are easy to be with and will make a lot of new friends. Best of everything love Grandma Natalie

2. Hi Marco! You were certainly busy this 13th year and have so many different experiences to look back on. I’m sure 14 will be even better 🙂 Starting at Pinewood sounds exciting (especially knowing there is an extensive theatre program you can join). Rumor has it you’re also running cross country. I can’t wait to hear about your new adventures! Looking forward to seeing you and the family in AV!!
    xo Aunt D