Collage and Mixed Media Camp

Last week, my friend Kate and I had a blast at art camp at Pacific Art League.  We did all different kinds of art, but mainly collage.  I love art camp because it is peaceful, relaxing, and we get to learn fun techniques on how to make our artwork better from professional artists.  Here are a few of my favorite pieces that I made.

One of my favorite things to do at home is making art out of recycled materials, so I was excited to hear that we were going to be making recycled art in camp. From the minute I saw the Quaker Oats logo (William Penn), I knew I wanted to do something historical. Washington D.C. immediately came to mind, so I made a mini-model of Washington D.C. I included all of the major landmarks: the Washington Memorial (made out of a Crest box), the Anacostia and Potomac rivers, Georgetown (the big purple and yellow G), and the Lincoln Memorial.

One of my favorite 3D projects to make was this mummy dog. Because I did the same camp last year, I was allowed to make a mummy dog instead of a mummy cat if I could use the same materials. This mummy dog was made out of a water bottle wrapped in plaster, with a styrofoam head and triangle-shaped cardstock ears. When it was all put together, I thought it actually looked a bit like one of our dogs… Comment if you know which one of our dogs my mummy dog is inspired by. Hint: some of her favorite things are drawn on the mummy dog’s body.

One of the most fun projects to do all week was making this beautiful magnolia flowers. I wanted to make it as realistic as I could, so I used pink, orange, and magenta colored tissue paper to make it look very realistic. And because magnolia flowers can be found on lily pads, I layered a medley of green tissue papers for the background.  Fun fact:  magnolias are the state flower of Mississippi!

On the second to last day of camp, we were given a big canvas to paint a background on.
However, we had no idea what the topic of our collage topic was. I planned to do some kind of a sunset, so I used pink, orange, and purple paint, just like the sunset in the evening in California.
When I found out that we actually had to make animals, I was surprised but happy, being an animal lover. On the inspiration table, there was a picture of a horse who looked just like my mom’s old lease horse, Disney. Inspired by Disney, a chestnut horse, I made a collage using all different orange hues and all different collage materials. The final product felt very special to me, because when it came out, it really did remind me of Disney.

15 thoughts on “Collage and Mixed Media Camp

1. Hi Marco. In every line written I can hear your love of art. It comes around so loud and clear. I wish I had the same grasp of my surroundings. Keep on being finely tuned to the air about you ,It will give you so much pleasure.. love Grandma Natalie

2. Your artwork is beautiful. The picture of Disney is incredible. The colors evoke both the sunset and the beautiful chestnut of his coat.

Lovely.

3. Hi Marco,
    I LOVE your art! Disney is fantastic, but I think the magnolias are my fav. The tissue paper adds awesome texture. Great idea! Can’t wait to see more.
    xo Aunt Debbie
    p.s. The sea turtle picture you gave me last year looks beautiful over my desk.

4. I really love looking at these Beautiful pieces of art! I think that the mummy dog is Bree! I really loved the magnolia flower! I think I might do that too! Super cool!

1. Thanks, Emilio! It is at the same place (Pacific Art League), but not the same camp. Every week, there’s a theme (as you read) and our theme that week was Mixed Media and Collage. This week it was Exploring Painting.

5. This looks like a great camp, Marco! Your work is so colorful and creative – It makes me want to see them in person. Maybe you should host your own exhibition at the end of the summer! 🙂

6. I love this post. Your art and technique are great. I especially like the magnolia flower, never knew they were a state flower. Did you frame it?