Psych Review

Shawn Spencer has acute powers of observation that he learned from his father, Henry Spencer, a retired policeman.  Shawn is able to glean the smallest and sometimes most important details, which leads to him being accused of a crime he solved.  He is forced to convince people that he is psychic, and with help from his best friend Gus, Shawn becomes a crime-solving machine working with the police department, who begins to appreciate them.  Psych is a witty, hilarious show with characters that you will surely grow to love.  Although it is a murder mystery show, the episodes, with the exception of a few, are comedy-based and rarely too creepy.  As the series unfolds, you will begin to discover its common catch phrases and inside jokes between characters. With eight seasons, a musical, and a movie, you are sure to love Psych!

These are my ten favorite episodes that I recommend watching:

1. “Extradition:  British Columbia” (Season 4, Episode 1)

Shawn and Gus try to catch one of the world’s most famous art thieves, Pierre Despereaux (Cary Elwes).

1. “Last Night Gus” (Season 6, Episode 2)

Shawn, Gus, Lassiter and Woody (the coroner) wake up in the Psych Office not knowing anything about what they’d done the night before and why they’re there.  When a dead body surfaces, the four have to solve the case without anyone knowing as all signs show that they were the criminals.

1. “Office Space” (Season 7, Episode 11)

Gus accidentally tampers with a crime scene in his very own office and is forced to solve the case before the police find out he did.

1. “American Duos” (Season 2, Episode 1)

A judge on a spoof of American Idol unwillingly hires Shawn and Gus for protection when a bunch of attempts on his life are made.

1. “Lights, Camera… Homicidio” (Season 2, Episode 13)

Shawn and Gus get hired on a case on the set of a Spanish-soap opera.  An actor stabs someone and claims to not know the fake knife was actually real, Shawn and Gus have to prove that he was telling the truth.

1. “Spellingg Bee” (Season 1, Episode 2)

Shawn and Gus investigate the suspicious death of the spellmaster at the Regional Spelling Bee being held in Santa Barbara.

1. “High Noon-Ish” (Season 4, Episode 3)

When Old Sonora Town, an Old West-themed tourist attraction starts literally falling down, Lassiter hires Shawn and Gus to investigate why.

1. “Black and Tan:  A Crime of Fashion” (Season 2, Episode 15)

Shawn and Gus pose as male models to investigate the suspicious electrocution of a world-famous designer.

1. “We’d Like to Thank the Academy” (Season 5, Episode 13)

Chief Vick and Henry send Shawn and Gus to the police academy due to their unorthodox, and sometimes incorrect way of solving cases.

1. “Bollywood Homicide” (Season 4, Episode 6)

When a man claims he is cursed causing all his girlfriends to be put in danger, Shawn and Gus go behind the scenes at a Bollywood theater to solve why.

I’m sure you’re probably wondering which one you should start with, and I recommend “Spellingg Bee”.  Because it’s at the beginning, it’s a perfect intro. In fact, it’s the one Anna and I started with and we’ve seen almost every episode.  To help get you started with your Psych obsession, here’s a bingo board that you can play while watching Spellingg Bee! The board is loaded with catch phrases, references, and things characters do that you’ll see in most episodes.  They are really funny and will help give you an idea of the characters’ personalities.

BINGO:  Spellingg Bee

Flashback Pineapple Shawn insults something Gus Likes Shawn suspects murder
Shawn talks about eating “Delicious” 80’s reference Henry yells at Shawn
Lassiter doubts Shawn Shawn causes a scene Shawn and Gus bicker Shawn goes to Henry for help
Someone dies Shawn gets overtaken by a “spirit” Lassiter doubts murder Gus uses the “super sniffer”

5 thoughts on “Psych Review

1. Hi Marco ,Haven’t watched this show too often but now you have peaked my interest and I will try to watch it more often It really seems like a fun experience and I do like mystery shows I will give you my reviews after I watch some episodes lone Grandma Natalie

2. Hi Marco,

I love that you love Psyche! Dad and I used to watch it all the time when you were tiny and now are having a blast watching it with you. The top ten include all of my favorites.

Looking forward to Bingo night with you, Dad, and Anna.

3. Hi Marco!
    I was a Psych fan from the start! Thank you for joining the club and encouraging others to watch too! I always found it fun to try and find the pineapple too.
    xo Aunt D