Cereal Milk Ice Cream and Vanilla Fruit Scones

Over Spring Break, my family went to a little town called Monkton, about twenty-eight miles north of Baltimore, Maryland.  When we were there, we hung with the cousins, spent time with their goats and dogs, and went to Washington D.C. for a day.  In D.C., we went to this amazing place for dessert:  Momofuku Milk Bar.  I ordered a chocolate-chip passion fruit cake shake, and it was so good!  The ice cream used in the shake was called cereal milk ice cream.  It was made from milk steeped in cornflakes.  It was so delicious, I not only went back when we went to D.C. for my cousin’s graduation, but decided to make it at home!

It’s actually a pretty simple ice cream to make.  The ice cream base is made from gelatin, not eggs, which are normally used in ice cream bases.  Momofuku Milk Bar wrote in their cookbook that they didn’t want the ice cream to have an eggy flavor, which makes sense.  Who would want an egg-flavored cereal?  To be able to use the gelatin, you have to bloom it.  You bloom gelatin (powder) by putting it in cold water for a few minutes.  Then, you put the gelatin into a bit of the hot liquid that you are using in your recipe.  It’s not too hard, but if you don’t get it right, you must do it again.  But don’t worry, vegetarians!  Use vegetarian gelatin (it can be found at your local supermarket) instead, and it’ll turn out just as good.

Here is what the ice cream looks like in the machine.

The finished ice cream. Yum!

The vanilla fruit scones are also delicious and easy to make.  The ones I made have golden raisins, but you can use whatever dried fruit that you like.  I make one change to the recipe:  I blend the dried fruit instead of leaving it whole.  The scones have a better texture and a fruitier flavor.

These are what the scones look like before going into the oven.

All in all, I feel that this day in baking was successful.  The scones turned out really well, and in my opinion, they were the best scones I’ve made so far.  The ice cream also ended up tasting good, although I was a little disappointed by the texture.  It was the slightest bit icy, and that was because I over-churned the ice cream by letting the machine go for too long.  So next time you want to make ice cream without an eggy flavor, use gelatin!

10 thoughts on “Cereal Milk Ice Cream and Vanilla Fruit Scones

1. Hi Marco. what a delicious blog, everything sounds so yummy. your blending the raisins in the scones makes sense, the flavor will be better distributed. ice cream is always a challenge to make ,even on the food network people have trouble, but you know your mistake and the next time it will be perfect, keep up the good work. love Grandma Natalie

2. Are you going into the food business with Isabella in the future. Chemistry would help with experiments in your lab kitchen. Count me in as a customer.Love Granny. p.s. Please Anna to e-mail me.

3. For anyone out there who still might be skeptical — the cereal and milk ice cream is the real deal! Marco got the flavoring just right. Delish! And I’ve always found scones difficult to do well. This recipe makes yummy, tender scones that are perfect for breakfast and/or afternoon tea.

Granny, you should try them!!

4. Sounds like I need to get practicing for our next “Chopped” challenge! Please feel free to make samples our next visit. 😉
    xo Aunt D

5. At first the name was confusing to me, but now I would try them in a heartbeat. Love the posts on food. You could start your own cooking show.

6. Hi Marco,
    Please make sure you bring your scone recipe to Bella Vista. I’m sure our Sunrise guests would LOVE fresh baked goodies. haha
    xo Aunt D