Beauty and the Beast Movie Review

Popcorn (stars):  5/5

I loved Beauty and the Beast!  After hearing our cousins rave about it, I decided that I just had to see it.  So last Saturday morning, I made super easy popovers, and Anna and I watched the movie.  Overall, we agreed that it was a great movie.  From the plot to the characters to the scenery, we thought it was very well done.

Music:  4.5/5

The music in Beauty and the Beast was also very well done.  Emma Watson, who played Belle, sang a few songs.  I was pleasantly surprised at her beautiful voice.  The other music, such as “Be Our Guest” and “Beauty and the Beast,” was well sung.  The lyrics were not changed at all, but each song had a small twist.  The only small issue I found was that the songs went a little long.

Acting: 5/5

Both Emma Watson and Dan Stevens (Beast) did a great job acting in Beauty and the Beast.  They represented Belle and the Beast really well.  Their voices were perfect for the role, and I was also surprised by Dan Stevens, who nailed “Evermore”.  Acting wise, I think that Gaston did the best job.  The fact that I hated Gaston by the end of the movie proves how good that the actor was, because he fulfilled his character’s role very well.

Plot:  4.5/5

I was never a huge fan of the plot in the original Beauty and the Beast movie.  I never liked how mean the townspeople were to Belle’s father.  Although the plot was the exact same as in the original movie, I felt that because the supporting characters (Lumiere, Mrs. Potts, Chip, and Cogsworth) were so good, I enjoyed the plot itself much more than I did in the original movie.

Setting:  5/5

The setting in Beauty and Beast was fantastic!  The movie was set in the French Countryside, and the scenery was spot-on.  The Beast’s castle was very detailed, and really cool to look at.  Same with the characters.  The characters were super well detailed as well.  During the “Be Our Guest” scene, all of the characters really came to life, and the spotlights and colors were really beautiful.

Rating:  PG

Genre:  Fantasy/Romance

Directed By:  Bill Condon

Runtime:  2h 19m

Studio:  Walt Disney Studio Motion Pictures

Make sure you watch Beauty and the Beast, I highly recommend it!  Even better, it is now available for rent on TV and on DVD.

14 thoughts on “Beauty and the Beast Movie Review

1. Hi Marco, a well done review. covered every aspect of the film. i hope to be able to see crit soon. it seems like a must-see. keep up the good work, love grandma natalie

2. To be honest, I never loved the animated Beauty and the Beast. I am however, looking forward to seeing this one. Marco, I’m going to see it based on this review. I hope I enjoy it as much as you did! If it’s terrible, at least I know where to find you 😉

3. I always like the original Beauty and the Beast (but I agree the townspeople were quite mean). Wasn’t planning to see this version, but now I will. Marco, your very detailed review peaked my interest – popovers and all!
    xo Aunt D

4. I agree with all the raitings! I LOVED Beauty and the Beast! Emma Watson was incredible! I also loved you rating caragories Marco! Looking forward to more of them!

5. I give it 4.5 out of 5 popcorns too! Whilst (that’s British for “while” in case Emma Watson is reading this) I also didn’t love the animated version I liked this movie and liked how you evaluated it. I can’t help but wonder why so many things are “out of 5” or “out of 10”? why is that? is it because that’s how many fingers are on our hands? Or because an odd number lets you pick something right in the middle (5), but a larger number gives you more shades in between? While I would welcome further discussion of this movie and your reviews of other films, I look forward to hearing your rationale for 5 and other scaling matters.

6. Hi Marco,

I like your succinct answer to Uncle Angelo’s long question 🙂 Though the question truly was a good one. I’m going to throw my hat in with the fingers on our hands theory. Somehow that sounds good to me.

7. Thanks for your review. I found it very informative. Much better written then what I typically read in the paper. I have not seen this latest production but will have to check it out.

8. We enjoyed the movie a lot too. One of the fun things was the combination of some of our favorite actors from the Harry Potter Movies and the Tolkien movies. Vincent said he was glad he saw Luke Evans as Bard first because he liked him, and then Evans did Gaston so well we did not like the character. He was a very effective actor!
    Dan Stevens was the odd one out in the sense he was known to us- but not from either of the above movie series (and I never watched Downton Abbey!). He was Lancelot in the third Night At The Museum movie.

9. Hey Marco – with all of your cinema insight have you heard about other Disney movies being redone? Just curious.
    xo Aunt D