Exploring Painting: Jack Russell Terrier

Isabella and Emilio (my amazing cousins), my sister, and I had a great time last week at art camp.  One of my favorite projects was an acrylic painting of a Jack Russel Terrier.  We got a huge board, a bunch of colors (except for black), and a photo of our choice to use, and went to work!  I wanted to do a Jack Russell Terrier because I am a huge animal lover, and Cali (our crazy dog) looked a lot like the dog in the photo.

Our art teacher wanted us to use a variety of colors.  I used green to make the grass, but to brighten it up, I added yellow.  The same technique was used for the dog.  Brown, yellow, red, orange, and white were all used to make the dog’s fur look less transparent and more life-like.  That was one of the coolest things I learned the whole week, and I’m going to use it every time I paint!

The face was the most difficult part of the project because there were so many details and specific colors that defined the dog’s features.  The eyes took me about three times to paint before I got the look I wanted.  It was really hard because the dog in the picture had a wary, “don’t steal my stick” look in its eyes.  That look is often in Cali’s eyes, too.  Also, the ears were hard because they were folded over.

This project was very special to me because Cali was my inspiration when I painted.  She is a crazy, adorable, sweet, and loud Rat Terrier mix.  I am planning on framing it and putting it in my room so I can always look up and see Cali, which would make me happy.

It was so cool to see everyone’s paintings at the art show, but one of my favorite’s was Anna’s painting of Oliver.  My favorite part about it is the background because it looks like the night sky.  She also did a great job capturing Oliver’s unruly but cute mane.

8 thoughts on “Exploring Painting: Jack Russell Terrier

1. Hi Marco,

I loved the tip about creating layers of color to make things look more life like. Super cool. And as you know, Jack Russells are very special to all of us 🙂 I still think Cali is part Jack Russell too.

Ps. Love anna’s oliver. The purple night sky is really stunning. thanks for sharing it.

2. Hi Marco, That was a very interesting blog. I learned a lot about art and color enhancement. When I think of Jack Russel terriers (aka Parson’s Terrier) I also think os Aunt Debbie’s Rusty, These dogs are full of fun and spirit galore. I hope you share some more paintings in the future. Have a great day. Love Grandma N

3. Painting animals is hard, and I think you and Anna both did a great job making your animals look realistic. (They were also very cute and adorable)

4. Your paintings are awesome! I can’t even draw stick figures in Pictionary. Cali and Oliver are super cute in real life and in both of these paintings. Have you ever thought of trying a landscape? Lake Como would be a beautiful subject to paint.
    xo Aunt D

1. I love doing landscapes in watercolor. My favorite was over spring break in Arizona. My mom and I did one from our hotel in Downtown Phoenix’s roof.

5. That camp sounds awesome. Maybe Nico can join you sometime. I really like how you made the fur look so good. Great job

6. This is a great camp. Real art and lots of it. I’m always impressed by the quality and variety of work the kids bring home.